Fire from Morgedal
The Olympic Torch has been lit in Morgedal three times, for the Winter Olympics in 1952, 1960 and 1994.
All the lighting ceremonies have been held at Sondre’s birthplace, Øverbø, followed by huge, lively, community celebrations in the valley.
A traditional pinewood torch has been used every time at the Øverbø ceremonies.
In 1952 the torch was made by Olav Strondi and the next two times by his son, Eivind Strondi.
Present in the Sondre cottage during the lightings, have been one ski veteran and one representative for the younger generation, both from Morgedal.
© 2002-2012 by Anne-Gry Blikom and Eivind Molde